Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wabi-Sabi Rug

One of my favorite things about our new apartment was its warm wood floors. It became clear that we needed a small rug in the living area to soften it up a bit. So I endeavored to crochet a little rag rug. It is made from old sheets, and I haven't crocheted since I was little, but here it is. Somehow, its imperfection makes me love it all the more.
A dyed-in-the-wool perfectionist, the rug's puckers and snags would usually drive me crazy, but somehow the level of imperfection is perfectly balanced. It recalls the Japanese aesthetic of "wabi-sabi", which is characterized by " asymmetry, asperity, simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes." (Via Wikepedia)
It is perfectly imperfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment